What are we doing that is holding us back from running to Jesus??
- Thoughts of how people view us?
- We don’t know what to do or are content with where we are and we don’t want to grow further?
- Who will be our people as we grow closer?
The thing is, we just need to run.
I think that as we get older, there are lots of things that we become involved with. Some of them could be…
Work, School, Friends, Family, Events, Relationships, Commitments… and so on.
They often times take over our minds and when things change within them, we notice an it can affect us. I have fallen into this trap many times and still do. The only way I know how to get out of it, is to seek out God. However, it seems to be after I have felt that way for awhile, that I choose to seek Him.
When things tend to consume my thoughts, it is overwhelming, I cannot seem to put in real effort into anything I am working on, I get distracted, sometimes I feel lost, and unfortunately, I am not always present in conversations or when I am at an event with my friends. I can’t seem to help it though. I try my best to focus and be present in the moment, but it can be a challenge. When I do feel that way and I notice that I am doing that or feel like my head is clouded, and I just cannot get out of that mindset, I turn to Jesus. It always ends up dawning on me that He is the only one that can help me get out of that mindset. I wish I would realize this sooner. But that’s okay. It is a learning and growing process. I know to just seek Him all the time,in everything I do so that should that happen again, I am already close to Him, and His love and peace is there.
But…. What does that mean Emma? What does this look like? Well, it is a variety of things for me.
- Listening to music that brings me back to God. (My worship music list).
- Listening to sermons. (There are a few that I listen to that mention the topics that I am going through).
- Talk to people who understand where I am at in life with those situations like my mom, dad, step mom, sisters and some of my close friends. They are able to share with me encouraging thoughts about God and about who I am. They will encourage me with scripture and even tidbits of their story.
- Sometimes… space from everything around you can be good. Watch a show that makes you laugh or turn on music to dance to. When I am alone, I find myself in a conversation with God and I just explain everything to Him.
- How I feel
- Maybe why I feel that way
- Things I am excited for
- Simply sharing my heart with Him
- Lastly, and honestly I really should do this more often, but get into The Word!! There is a reason why it is called the Book of Life! It fills you up. It tells you how to live, and shares what others did when they went through the same struggles you are.
The most recent scripture that I have been reading is Philippians 4:1-14
- It talks about…
- Praying when we are worried.
- To tell God what you need, and thank Him for all that He has done.
- Doing so allows us to experience God’s peace which is more than we can even understand.
- His peace is what takes those thoughts away.
Verse 7 says, “His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus”. That peace will guard us and the thoughts that come from this world that can consume us. He only allows things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable. Things that are excellent and worthy of praise. (verse 8). Verse 9 goes on to says, “keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me, everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you”. We are to live as Christ did.
The truths that we have learned about ourselves and who God is.
- We are created in His image (Gen. 1:27)
- We are beautifully and wonderfully made.
- There is a plan for our life (Jeremiah 29:11)
- He knew us before we were born -> He set us apart (Jeremiah 1:5)
- We are chosen; there is a purpose for our lives simply because He called us out of the darkness and into His wonderful light. (1 Peter 2:9)
- The Lord isn’t really being slow about His promise, as some people think. No, He is being patient for your sake. (2 Peter 3:9)
- His word is powerful and alive. There is a reason as to why He does what He does and says what He says. (Hebrews 4:12)
- The things that are good and perfect are from God. He created everything. He never changes. (James 1:17)
- God is not a man, so He does not lie. He is not human, so He does not change His mind. Has He ever spoken and failed to act? Has He ever promised and not carried it through?
- He will never lie to you. He will never change His mind about you or what His plans are for you or what the purpose is that He has put on your life. When He says something, it will happen, and when He promises us something, it will be fulfilled. (Numbers 23:19)
The things of this world will make us think that we can not fulfill what He has said or who we are, but knowing this truth on our hearts, keeps us from believing such things and keeps our hearts and minds aligned with Him and our purpose, and our eyes are fixed on Him.
The Bible is full of so many more truths. Keeping ourselves in The Word and around those that will point us back to Christ is what is going to help us stay focused on what He wants us to do everyday. It is what will help us to be present with our friends and family, and just rest in the moment. It will help us to be truly happy and content.
Doing these things when I begin to feel like my mind is being clouded and filled with thoughts, or when I let something affect me, brings me tremendous peace and also brings me closer to Christ. He is always calling us closer. Closer to Him so He can show us the way and who we are to be on that particular Adventure.
We should always draw near to Him whether we feel clouded and consumed or completely free and filled with joy. Each step you take, trust Him. He will help you through everything. He will always be there and never leave you. He will guide you along the path that He has set before you. (Hebrews 12:1).
You are all amazing! Remember when your mind is feeling clouded, or you feel lost, and cannot focus on things that He has set before you, turn to Him. Run to Him. Nothing can stop you but yourself. He loves you and has great plans for you. Seek Him no matter what is happening in your life or how you are feeling in the moment.
Trust Him. He can handle it.
Here’s to seeking Him always!